The Avocado: it’s not just for guacamole anymore!
A few years back, people only ate avocados when they were out to eat Mexican food and ordered guacamole. But nowadays, avocados are showing up everywhere and for good reason! This super food has over 15 essential nutrients including fiber, potassium, sodium, vitamins A, C, D, E, K and the B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B-6, vitamin B-12, and folate). It is also known for its healthy fats: monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (such as omega-3 fatty acids). Can it get much healthier?
With all that good nutrition, no wonder studies are finding avocados are helpful with disease prevention. “The avocado is one of the top brain-healthy foods that can help prevent Alzheimer’s Disease,” according to Dr. Daniel G. Amen, a clinical neuroscientist and author of the New York Times bestseller “Change Your Brain.” Avocados are also touted as a strong ally in cancer prevention. “Studies suggest that individual and a combination of phytochemicals from the avocado fruit may offer an advantageous dietary strategy in cancer prevention,” says Haiming Ding in Ohio State’s College of Medicine, a member of the Division of Radiobiology, Department of Radiology.
Don’t let that green color put you off! The texture is creamy with a mild flavor.
Here are some new ways to try this nutritious power packed green fruit:
1) Simply cut the avocado in half, remove seed and sprinkle it with herbal seasoning. Enjoy!
2) Scoop the flesh out of the shell and dice the avocado; then add it to a salad, soup or entrée as a topping or garnish.
3) Completely mash the avocado and spread it on GF toast or GF crackers.
4) Make avocado dressing to add flavor to raw or steamed vegetables.
5) Add some smooth creaminess to your smoothies with half an avocado which provides some “good fat” to your morning meal.
6) And of course, guacamole! This is yummy crowd-pleasing dip; serve with GF chips.
Resource: Science Daily https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070904114442.htm#